Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Why Write?

Writing isn't immediate gratification. Writing is hard and can be a quite slow and tedious process, (especially when figuring out what to write) but after I write something that seems worth reading, or something that has helped me understand the world and myself better, I feel a happiness and a sense of accomplishment that nothing else can provide. I can't write anything without thinking thoroughly about what its going to be about, how I'm going to write it stylistically, and what will I learn or accomplish by the end of the text. Of course, there are in my opinion certain texts that are there merely for the joy of reading or writing them, but a text has to stand out not necessarily through originality, but through the value of the idea it shares and how that idea is expressed. I'm sure that there are many talented writers that can write fast and in big quantities with ease, but I'm slow at writing, it takes a considerable effort, and my output is relatively small. The challenge in writing is what stimulates me to write the most perhaps, and in a way when I write or read whether or not the text is mine, I know I have an intimate relationship with what I read or write, because a text isn't complete until somebody has read it.

2 comments: